The local volunteers who came in for support to carry those packages had delightful smiles as they valued the importance of the lights in their routine life.The locals of the Bhattedadha village were facing problems by the irregular and long hours of power cuts way before the disastrous earthquake struck. Their plight post earthquake was doubled as the electricity poles and wires of many households were destroyed and they were forced to use candles at night.
The communication channels and mobile devices were interrupted due to problems of electricity. When the ChangeFusion team installed 100 sustainable shelters the people were gratified, yet their houses were loomed in darkness. Few managed to get lines from the old house with risks of direct current shocks while majority were struggling to find an alternative.
On 2nd June'15, the team of our volunteers installed the first solar lights in the village. The lights were easy to install, environment friendly, wire less, natural and renewable with multi-purpose applications. The panel was installed outside the shelter and the line was connected to the main box which was equipped with multi ports and lantern.
Then, a bulb is attached to the main box, hence with multiple lighting options.The installation team members comprised of two of our volunteers Shakhar Shrestha and Binum Karmacharya and a group of local volunteers mobilized by Aakash Tamang who finished installing the lighting in 28 houses yesterday and will complete the rest by today (3rd June'15). The group not only installed the lights but also taught the household members regarding its simple operations.
As the team went on to talk with them regarding the solar lights, many couldn't express their emotions yet their gleaming eyes full of gratitude and blessings to the donors and the entire team said it all."Our meter box is buried inside the old house and since my mother, Urmila Tamang can't fix the wires we were living without lights using candles. Now, we don't have to worry about electricity problems again.
" -Aastha Tamang (from house no.
14)"We were forced to take our neighbors line for electricity inside the shelter house which led to frequent brawls. Tonight, I can finally let my daughter study in peace and finish my housework properly."- Gunja Maan Tamang (from house no. 12)Below are few glimpses of the houses with the new solar lights and the volunteers working for its installations.
This picture was taken when the volunteers bought few meters of wires for solar panel fixation.The solar installation equipment boxes were then carried to the various houses.The materials are then assembled near the houses.
The panel is attached to the tin sides using wires so that it doesn't fall off by strong winds in the village.The solar light bulb is then placed and the volunteers teach the locals its operation.Then the lights is successfully turned on and off by Lok Nath Makaju, 76 years of age who says 'Khusi lagyo' (I feel happy).
He resides on house no.
Lok Nath's shelter house with the solar panel.Below are few more houses with the solar lighting facilities.We also caught the glimpse of the uses of the lights by the local volunteers and it was used for multiple functions inside the sustainable shelters.
Some were learning by its light while others eating, charging their phones and playing by the light.These blissful sights were only possible through our generous and kind donors and we would like to thank them again on behalf of the entire community at Bhattedadha. Our next post will feature further progress and updates towards restoring normal life at Bhattedadha.
Do stay connected.
Why don't hotel rooms have ceiling lights?
My hotel building is over 100 years old, so we have ceiling lights. We also need a ladder to change a bulb 11' from the floor. It can take 20 minutes for 1 bulb! This is one reason that we have changed to the longer lasting (and more economical) low-energy bulbs.
I would be delighted to have wall lights instead. Retro-fitting them would however be even less economically sound.
Higher than average ceilings mean ladders to change the bulbs in ceiling fittings, and this extends the maintenance time and convenience for staff enormously. Even normal height ceilings mean that a chair is needed to swap a bulb out. Wall fittings are so much more convenient for both staff and customers, reducing the time taken to get light again!
As Michael Forrest Jones says - anything other than a simple bulb swap requires the power to be cut to the whole circuit (which may be more than just a few rooms). This makes it very awkward to do emergency repairs after dark! -- Been there done that... Go with wall fittings that can be isolated in-room!
I have ceiling lights.
I don't like them, as they are awkward for maintenance.
Replacing them would be expensive and extremely difficult - basically a total rewire of the hotel lighting system.
Design engineers are not stupid. they note the first 2 points!